Mathando Likhanya is an Associate Director at PPM Attorneys. She completed her LLB Degree at the University of the Witwatersrand in 2011. Mathando joined the firm as a candidate attorney in January 2012. She completed her articles of clerkship in June 2014 and was admitted as an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa on 18 August 2014.
She was promoted as a senior associate in 2016 and as a junior partner in 2017. She thereafter joined one of the big four audit and advisory consulting firms in 2018 as a commercial legal advisor in General Counsel Office before returning to the firm as an associate director in March 2020.
Mathando’s core areas are commercial, regulatory and compliance law, media and advertising, information and communications technology (ICT) and employment law.
Mathando’s experience includes:
- Reviewing and providing legal advice on various infrastructure and procurement projects for one of South Africa’s largest Banks.
- Reviewing and drafting commercial and technology agreements for various local and international telecommunications companies.
- Reviewing, drafting and providing advice relating to complex leasing and construction of storage facilities agreements for an international logistics company.
- Providing advice on B-BBEE compliance and regulatory issues to various foreign commercial and telecommunications entities.
- Drafting, negotiating and advising on matters within the audit industry and regulatory issues under the Auditing Profession Act, 2005.
- Advising clients on issues relating to the formation and restructuring of companies, as well as general company secretarial work.
- Assisting some of South Africa’s biggest production and media companies with respect to their employment related issues. This entailed drafting, reviewing agreements, as well as proving advice on general employment law matters. In addition, advising and drafting legal opinions on various commercial matters including, media/intellectual property/copyright law, format and licensing agreements, employment agreements, media agreements, service level agreements, distribution agreements, and the Advertising Code.
- Attending to numerous commercial litigation matters in the High Court, CCMA and at the Magistrates’ Courts.