Melody Musoni is a legal consultant at PPM Attorneys. She served her articles at Berdou Attorneys. During her articles of clerkship, she attended her practical legal training course for 6 months offered by the Legal Education And Development (LEAD). She successfully passed all her Attorneys Admission Exams.
She obtained her LLB Degree at the University of Witwatersrand. She also obtained her LLM Degree in Cyber Law at the University of Witwatersrand. Her research dissertation was on the protection of the right to privacy during criminal investigations in cyberspace. She also holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental Law from the University of Witwatersrand.
Melody is passionate about the interplay between the law and technological innovations, data protection, the protection of Intellectual Property Rights in cyberspace and a blockchain technology enthusiast. She is currently undertaking her PhD Research Thesis at the University of Witwatersrand in the area of regulating and enforcing cybercrime activities.
Melody has extensive experience in drafting of high-level contracts and agreements for clients in various industry sectors. She has closely worked with the Companies and Intellectual Property Commission (CIPC) and has gained experience in company secretarial work, which includes but not limited to company name reservations, company registrations, drafting of Memorandum of Incorporations and Shareholders Agreement. She has also been involved in trademark Law, from trade mark filings, registrations, renewals and prosecutions. She has also been involved in a uniquely regulated industry – the horseracing industry and was involved in the drafting of opinions and memorandum for clients in this industry.
Melody’s experience includes the following:
- Assisting with filing of trademark applications and renewals at the CIPC;
- Filing patents and designs renewal registrations;
- Drafting pleadings for trademark opposition matters;
- Conducting trademark searches and trademark monitoring on both the CIPC Patent and Trademark Journal as well as on various websites;
- Reviewing various agreements including NDAs and MOUs and Alternate Dispute Resolution Agreements;
- Researching and drafting advisory opinions on the rules regulating horseracing in South Africa; drafting and preparing papers for Inquiry Proceedings into illegal uses of prohibited substances in horses;
- Researching and drafting of advisory opinions on company law for various companies;
- Drafting and reviewing Memorandum of Incorporations and Shareholders Agreements; Policies and Procedures for different businesses.
Articles and Publications
“Is cyber search and seizure under the Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Bill consistent with the Protection of Personal Information Act” Obiter Law Journal 2016 (3) 682
“Criminalization of revenge porn in South Africa” Obiter Law Journal 2019 (1) (forthcoming).
“Regulating cryptocurrencies in Zimbabwe: The case of Golix v the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe” African Journal of Information Communication (forthcoming).
“Addressing the privacy concerns of online profiling and automated decision-making” THREAT2019 Conference Paper (forthcoming).
“Revisiting cyber search and seizure within the context of the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act and the Protection of Personal Information Act” University of the Witwatersrand, 2013.