Here’s what you need to do to continue operating as an essential service, e.g. a telco or data centre, during the SA lockdown:
- Obtain a copy of the Disaster Management Act, Amendments to the Regulations, published on 25 March 2020 in Notice No.398 in Government Gazette No. 43148;
- Consider the definitions under Regulation 11A to determine whether your organisation is an essential service;
- Submit an application on the CIPC’s BizPortal website and download the certificate;
- If your organisation is an essential service, download and complete Annexure C, Form 1 (it’s annexed to the Regulation but you can access a copy here) and complete it;
- Arrange for the head of your organisation i.e, the accounting officer of a public institution or the CEO of a private institution, to sign the Form;
- Ensure that the organisation’s official stamp is used to stamp the Form; and
- Ensure that the employee to whom the Form is given, carries it and an official form of identity with her/him as they go about their duties.
Your organisation’s essential services staff members should then be able to go about their duties unhindered.
Please remember that the Regulations published under the National Disaster Lockdown laws are changing on an almost weekly basis. We have set the law out here as it was when this was written. It is important that you always check the most recent laws themselves, so that you are fully up to date.